Another year around the sun - February 7th is my 45th birthday! I have to say that my 40’s has been quite the ride - it’s a time where I have done a lot of growing, maturing, feeling more and more comfortable with myself and seeing things differently. I’ve been feeling quite nostalgic and reflective and want to share some things that I have learned to appreciate and make me happy (and a few things about me you didn’t know).
1. Having a good office chair May sound a bit old lady-ish but I as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed that the more I sit the more I need a better chair to support me. I invested in a used Aeron chair last year. I normally would’ve been sick spending several hundred dollars on an office chair but not anymore! My back and butt are thanking me for it daily. I am so happy I bought it.
2. Spending time in nature: I love going outside – always have. I didn’t realize it until the last few years how being outdoors really energizes me. I love going on hikes and walks, working out outside and hitting the beach. It is essential for my mental state and soul and being near water is the best! I have always lived near water on a coast.
3. 80’s and 90’s jams: Puts me back in my younger years instantly and in a great mood
4. Fresh, clean sheets: YAAASSS! Nothing like getting into a clean bed
5. A sweaty night out dancing hard: always a good time. I LOVE to dance
6. Sharing my knowledge and helping others: I love to share and be of help in any way I can
7. Traveling and exploring new places and things: can’t get enough
8. Spirituality and personal growth: always working on being a better person in and out
9. Good health: especially since I fractured my leg I really appreciate this now
10. Cute animal videos – who doesn’t love these?
11. Sunshine: I live in Cali and it’s a huge part of life here. I’ve become addicted to sunshine I think.
12. Plants: duh
13. Making art, being creative: I love exploring and developing my abilities
14. Patterns and illustration: OBSESSED!
15. Social Media: My Pinterest and Instagram addiction - I love eye candy!
16. Working late at night in the “flow”: ahhh sooo good getting lost in your work
17. The ability to bindge watch: who doesn’t love binge watching?
18. Hot yoga: my new favorite workout. Can’t wait to get back once my fractured leg heals
19. Girl time: the BEST!
20. Alone time: this has become more important as I get older
21. Feeling more and more confident and in control: also something that happens as you get older
22. Family and family time: I lost both parents in the last few years and family time is essential
23. Being more comfortable with change: I feel good about this
24. Biking on the beach trail: the breeze in your face is exhilarating!
25. Learning new skills: love notching up my game
26. Cooking (not baking – no good at it)
27. Chocolate – need I say more?
28. Farmer’s markets: Love seeing all the fresh fruits and veggies I can bring home with me
29. Sleeping in: I have a new schedule lately and sleep is a new priority
30. Driving stick: It feels like I’m in control of the car but it’s not fun in traffic though. I drove a 5 speed pick-up truck for 10 years in my 20’s
31. A good kickboxing class: as a former aerobic instructor from the 90’s I appreciate a challenging class from a really good instructor
32. Beach vacations (or any vacation)
33. Laughing and hanging out with my guy: he’s such a goofball and makes me laugh a lot
34. Discovering yummy, new gluten free foods (I’ve been celiac since 2006 - before gluten free was cool)
35. Karaoke: those private rooms are so much fun
36. 80’s cartoons from my childhood: like Jem, Smurfs and Muppet Babies
37. Synchronicities: love it when it happens!
38. Checking things off my to do list and/or goal list
39. Anthropologie: I call it my “Design Church”. I go just for inspiration and to just exhale
40. Cheesy 80’s movies like Xanadu and Revenge of the Nerds: I’ll watch them if they are on cable.
41. Finding out something I am purchasing at the register is actually on sale (score!)
42. Random acts of kindness
43. Mentos commercials make me laugh
44. Nice hotel rooms with good design, robes and big, comfy beds makes me never want to leave
45. Freedom (all kinds)
There are so many more too. I hope you can relate to these (and I am not a big weirdo). I am looking forward to this new year and hope that it is very different than past years - in the best ways ever!